JISO Jewelry Insurance Forms
Most people who purchase fine jewelry also purchase insurance. To properly insure an item of jewelry, an appraisal (or other documentation) typically accompanies the policy application. In turn, insurers use that information for making various determinations about the insurance coverage offered.
Historically, and to a larger extent in recent years, many jewelry appraisals (if and when provided) have been notoriously inaccurate, incomplete, and inflated, resulting in three distinct concerns: 1) over-insuring the item of jewelry, which means 2) the insured ends up paying more for insurance than necessary, which can also mean that 3) the company overpays the jewelry settlement if a loss occurs and a claim is filed.
In 1997 the insurance industry adopted a jewelry insurance standard which included several forms that facilitate the collection and use of standardized jewelry information for making insurance determinations
JISO makes these forms available without charge to insurance professionals as well as Certified Insurance Appraisers™ and jewelers.
- JISO 18 Jewelry Appraisal and Claim Evaluation (formerly ACORD 18). This form is used by adjusters, underwriters, and agents to check a (non-JISO) appraisal for complete information. Its format corresponds to that of JISO 78/79. (view JISO 18, instructions)
- JISO 78 & 79 Jewelry Insurance Appraisal (formerly ACORD 78 & 79). These forms (78 for a single item, 79 for multiple items) prompt the appraiser for highly detailed gemological descriptions that provide maximum information for accurate underwriting and claims settlement. Only Certified Insurance Appraisers™ may complete these forms. (view JISO 78, instructions; view JISO 79, instructions)
- JISO 805 Sales Receipt for Insurance Purposes (formerly ACORD 805). This form is intended for use by jewelers who have not been trained to the high Certified Insurance Appraiser™ standards. It provides essential descriptive content useful for insuring jewelry. (view JISO 805, instructions)
- JISO 806 Jewelry Document for Insurance Purposes.
This form can be used to provide the necessary descriptive information about jewelry for insurance purposes. It is intended to be used by jewelers who do not meet the higher education and training requirements set forth in the JISO 78 and 79 appraisal forms. The descriptive content is the same however, providing necessary information for the scheduling of typical jewelry items (view JISO 806)
- JISO 154 Jeweler's Inventory Record (formerly ACORD 154). This inventory card is a tool for use by jewelers that addresses the problems associated with Jewelers Block inventory and record keeping requirements. (view JISO 154, instructions)